I’m one of those people that use their fridge for inspiration. I’m constantly reading recipes, but I find when I’m actually getting around to making a meal, the outcome will be determined by what’s in my pantry or fridge right now, not what could be if I spent the 20 minutes to go to the grocery store and pick up some extra ingredients. Sometimes it’s great and works wonders! But other times it just results in an incomplete, lazy flunk that’s missing 5000 things.
So today I opened my fridge and my hungry eyes immediately focused in on 3 things: lime, kiwi, and mango. Yummm. Perfect ingredients for a fun, summery tropical dish! With the addition of coconut and cilantro all mixed up with quinoa and chick peas, seriously what could go wrong? And so the Tropical Dream Quinoa Salad was invented, and oh so very enjoyed :-)
Quinoa salads are the new thing recently, and I’ve gotta say it’s making me quite happy! There are endless possibilities and so much room to be creative when working with quinoa, and its packed with all sorts of nutritional benefits. The nutty flavour of the quinoa combined with the tropical fruits and coconut in this recipe just made my taste buds scream with joy! Now all I need are some sunglasses, a beach chair, and my own personal island in the Caribbean and I’m set! Oh and maybe a massage, that would be nice too.
Tropical Dream Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium-sized mango
- 2 kiwis
- 1/2 can no salt added chickpeas
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro
- juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp chopped red onion
1. Bring water to a boil, then add quinoa and reduce to low heat to let simmer for 1012 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, peel and chop up mango, kiwi, and red onion and place into a bowl.
3. Fluff quinoa with a fork, and combine with chopped ingredients.
4. Add chickpeas and tbsp coconut and gently stir until mixed.
5. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and additional coconut.
6. Squeeze lime juice over top before serving.