Over the weekend, I purchased some apple butter for the first time. I had never tried it before, but I had read about it and thought it sounded quite good! So when I saw it at Bulk Barn while I was picking up various nuts and grains, I knew I had to buy some. I brought it home, but I didn’t really know what to do with it, so with a quick search of the internet I discovered it goes great in oatmeal! And on my own, I have discovered it also goes great stirred into vanilla yogurt… yum!!
Dessert for breakfast anyone?! This recipe actually tastes like apple pie or apple crumble. I loved every bite, it was just so flavourful and sweet–and perfectly in season with fall apples! :-) The apple butter added a whole new level of deliciousness, while the cinnamon and fresh apples gave the desserty flavour. The walnuts were the perfect topping, adding a nice crunch to finish. (I wouldn’t recommend skipping them!)
Apple Pie Oatmeal
Makes One Serving
- 1/2 apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats (or other type of oatmeal)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a medium sized pot, bring water to a boil. Add oats, reduce to medium-low, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until oats are cooked and water is absorbed.
- While oats are cooking, in a small bowl stir together yogurt and apple butter until combined.
- Transfer cooked oats into serving bowl, and top with apple butter and yogurt mixture, and chopped apples.
- Finish bowl with cinnamon and chopped walnuts to serve.