Today was one of those days where after a good long day of both working and working out, I feel super content and satisfied. I was quite productive throughout the day (even getting my entire kitchen sparklingly clean!) as well as energized and motivated at the gym reaching a new personal best for myself in spin class! It’s just one of those days where nothing particularly exciting happened, yet I’m headed off to sleep with a mega smile and a noonecanruinmymood sorta feeling. Oh how I do love these kinds of days!
Now, for me anyway, a great day like this absolutely must finish off with the same standards when it comes to dinner. So creating a meal to satisfy my hunger and my superb mood of the day was my challenge tonight, and twas accepted and oh was it ever highly achieved! This meal was so light and flavourful, yet it hit the perfect spot after a tough workout.
Both components of this meal were extremely fast and easy to whip up while absolutely not sacrificing flavour, so it’s a perfect weekday meal after a long day! I was super excited to share the recipe the entire time I was trying to savour it (but really inhaling it because I was so hungry) ;-) So I hope you’ll give it a try and enjoy it!
Balsamic Portobello Mushroom & Apple Walnut Salad
Makes two servings
Balsamic Portobello Mushroom
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp garlic
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp ginger
- Pepper, to taste
1. Combine olive oil, water, balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, maple syrup, and ginger together in a small glass and stir well.
2. Using a rubber brush (or just a spoon), brush 3/4 of the marinade on the bottoms of the mushrooms.
3. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
4. Place mushrooms face down onto barbecue.
5. Brush the rest of the marinade on the tops of the mushrooms.
6. Barbecue until soft and tender.
7. Sprinkle with pepper, to taste, before serving.
Apple Walnut Salad
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted walnuts, chopped
- 1 small royal gala apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1. Combine spinach, chopped onions, and chopped apple in a bowl.
2. Mix together olive oil, water, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and sugar in a small glass for the dressing, and pour on top of salad.
4. In a small pan or pot, roast walnuts over the stove on high heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
5. Sprinkle roasted nuts on top and enjoy!