After watching the bananas on my counter turn from green, to yellow, to speckled, and finally black, I knew it was time to do something with them before my kitchen turned into fruit fly infested madness. So today I woke up with a specific mission: Three ingredient banana pancakes (which really turned into five or seven ingredient pancakes once you include the toppings and tweaks I made, as usual.. but that’s besides the point. :-)
I don’t actually remember where I originally saw or heard of the three ingredient pancake recipe, but it is quite popular, and I’ve wanted to test it out for a while. And after recovering from being sick all week, I thought it was the perfect opportunity–because who doesn’t love a pancake breakfast when they’re sick?
The recipe is really simple and quick to whip up, and literally only three ingredients (+ 2 + 2) :) After bite number one, I completely fell in love with everything about these pancakes. I can easily say it is my favourite recipe on my blog (even though it isn’t completely mine), and it hit the perfect spot. When cooking the pancakes in the pan, I noticed they were really crumbly and difficult to flip. (Or I’m just a bad pancake flipper…) But because of the banana, it was easy to just squish the pieces back together with the spatula. This was also the first time I combined microwaved frozen raspberries with vanilla yogurt as a topping and OH MY was it delicious. It has probably become my new obsession. The recipe makes three pretty large pancakes, but they are really quite filling. I made three pancakes, expecting to eat them all myself, but I was very full after eating half of it, and set the rest aside for later, or for someone else to enjoy. (And I eat a lot!)
Banana Chocolate Oatmeal Pancakes with Raspberry Topping
Makes 3 large pancakes
For the Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 very ripe bananas (mine were small-medium sized)
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao nibs (or dark chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (I used 1/4 teaspoon for each pancake)
For the Topping
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
1. In a medium sized bowl, peal and mash bananas. Once mashed, combine rolled oats, egg, cacao nibs, and coconut sugar, and stir until well mixed.
2. Heat 1/4 teaspoon olive oil over a small skillet on medium-low heat.
3. Pour 1/3 pancake mixture onto pan. Once underside is golden and edges are slightly crispy, flip pancake using a spatula. Once pancake is cooked, use the spatula to place pancake on a plate, and repeat steps 2 and 3 for the remainder of the pancake mixture.
4. Heat frozen raspberries in a mug in the microwave on high for 1 minute and thirty seconds, or until liquified. Stir in vanilla yogurt, and pour over pancakes.
5. Sprinkle with whole raspberries and cacao nibs for garnish, and serve warm!