So I wish I could say I was the brilliant mastermind behind this recipe.. but sadly I’m not. I stumbled upon the original recipe from Fitness Magazine on Pinterest and fell in love with the idea of cooking oatmeal in tea. Two things I absolutely adore mixed together into gooey goodness- oh my!
I did make some super minuscule adjustments, but this recipe was pretty much perfect on its own. I used steel cut porridge oats instead of quick oats to add some extra fibre and protein, and I added a tablespoon of vanilla yogurt instead of cooking the tea in milk to add creaminess and compliment the vanilla flavours of the french vanilla chai tea I used instead of just normal chai tea. I also roasted my pecans to bring out their flavour, used fresh peaches (cause I had some super fresh ones from a local farm), and added a pinch of cinnamon, because I just love cinnamon. I highly recommend giving it a try! I certainly know I am going to be spending the next few weeks experimenting with different teas and fruit combinations :-)
French Vanilla Chai Oatmeal with Peaches and Pecans
- 1 French Vanilla Chai teabag
- 1 cup water
- 1 peach, sliced
- 8 pecans
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup steel cut porridge oats (or quick oats)
1. Boil water over stove and steep tea for 3-5 minutes.
2. Add oats and cook on medium/low heat for 10-12 minutes, or until tea is absorbed.
3. While the oats are cooking, roast pecans in a small pot over the stove, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
4. Pour cooked oats into a bowl, and stir in vanilla yogurt.
5. Eat a slice or two of peaches, and put the rest on top. (I found a whole peach too much for the one bowl of oatmeal ;)
6. Sprinkle with roasted pecans and cinnamon, and drizzle with maple syrup to serve and enjoy!